1. Residents may register in person, online, or by mail or fax. Phone registrations are not accepted for any programs. Payment must be made in full at the time of registration.
2. Online registration: You may register online for most programs. Go to http://www.essexct.gov / Parks & Recreation page, and then click on link for Member Login.
3. Non-resident registrations are accepted two weeks following resident registration period.
4. If the session you wish to register for is filled, you will be placed on a waiting list and notified immediately when an opening occurs.
5. Children must be the proper age before the program begins.
6. Only those enrolled in the program may attend. Sorry, but “visitors/family” will not be permitted in the program unless specified.
7. Registration is accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis and class sizes are limited. Programs will be canceled if registration does not meet the minimum.
8. A non-resident fee is assessed for some Park and Recreation programs.
All persons participating in Park and Recreation programs should carry their own personal health insurance. The Town of Essex is not responsible for personal injuries. Participants in all Department-sponsored programs participate at their own risk.
Do not wait until the last minute to register! Please keep in mind that most classes require a minimum registration and if that requirement is not fulfilled by a certain date, the program may be canceled.
Fees & Refund Policy
• Payment is due at time of registration. Refunds will be given if a program is cancelled due to insufficient enrollment.
• In case of illness a full refund will be given with a doctor's note. If an individual cancels a week or more before a program begins, a full program credit will be given, if an individual cancels less thasn one week prior to a program beginning, a 50% program credit is given. If an individual cancels once a program has begun, no credit will be issued.
• A $5 processing fee will be deducted from all refund requests.
The Park and Recreation Department makes every effort to ensure the accuracy of the program information found in this brochure. Changes in programming may occur, and we will attempt to keep information updated on our website. All programs, instructors, and locations are subject to change.
No News is Good News
We do not call or mail participants with program confirmations. We will only call you if you did not get into a class, or a class has been canceled due to minimum enrollment.
Any photograph taken of any participants in a Essex Park and Recreation Department program or activity may be used for publication or marketing purposes such as brochures and website content. Any participant, or parent of youth participant, who wishes to not have a photograph of them used must notify the department in writing of this.
Recreation Scholarship Fund
The Recreation Scholarship Fund is designed to offset program fees for Essex residents who could not otherwise afford the fees. For more information, contact Park and Recreation at 767-4340x110.
Essex Park and Recreation Department is committed to providing quality leisure services for people of all abilities. We will comply fully with the spirit and intention of the ADA in making reasonable accommodations for all individuals. We encourage and support people with disabilities to fully participate in all programs offered by the department. Please contact Park and Recreation for more information.
New Programs and Instructors
Have a great program idea or a desire to teach, earn money, and give back to the community? We continually seek to improve and grow our offering of programs and classes but need dedicated, enthusiastic instructors like you to make it happen.
The Benefits of Parks and Recreation
*Build family unity*Feel great*Lose weight*Diminish chance of disease*Reduce stress*Provide safe places to play*Generate revenue*Lower healthcare costs*Meet friends*Educate children and adults *Relax *Keep businesses from leaving*Elevate Personal Growth *Strengthen neighborhood involvement*Boost local economy *Increase property value *Preserve plant and animal wildlife*Clean air and water*Teach vital life skills *Provide space to enjoy nature
“Know Before You Go”
Please call our office line for program announcements and updates at 767-4340 x110, if a staff member is not in to answer your call, we will put information on the greeting message to keep you updated. Additionally, all important department and program information and announcements are always posted under the “Announcements & News” heading on our web page: http://essexct.recdesk.com/recdeskportal/.
In the event of snow or pending snow, our Program Cancellation / Inclement Weather Policy follows that of the Essex School System. If school has been canceled or has an early dismissal, then any program for the remainder of that day and night will be canceled as well. During a delayed opening there will be no programs prior to 1 hour after the school has opened. The Department also reserves the right to cancel programs due to weather regardless of the determination of the school system.