Program and Registration Policies
The Essex Park and Recreation Department reserves the right to reschedule, relocate, or cancel any announced program due to facility availability and public response. The Park and Recreation Department may also establish minimum or maximum class sizes to ensure appropriate instructor-to-participant ratios.
There are three ways to register for a program. Registration can be done online, in person, or by mail-in:
1. Most programs allow for online registration. Visit our website and login as a member or register as a new member. You will input your information, choose all the programs you wish to register for, and will have the ability to pay by credit card.
2. You may mail in the registration form (available on website) and payment to our office.
3. You may register in-person at the office during business hours.
4. Phone registrations are not accepted for any programs
5. If the session you wish to register is filled you will be placed on a waiting list and notified immediately if and when and opening occurs.
6. Children must be the proper age before the program begins.
7. Only those enrolled in the program may attend. Sorry, but “visitors and family” will not be permitted in the program unless specified.
8. Registration is accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis and class sizes are limited. Programs will be canceled if registration does not meet the minimum.
Payment must be made in full at the time of registration, without exception. We accept cash and checks made payable to Essex Park and Recreation. Retuned checks will be charged a bank fee.
Late Registration Fee
All program registrations accepted one day prior, day-of, or any time after the program start date will incur a $5 late fee.
Since programs are self-supporting and commitments need to be made to instructors and staff, the following statement reflects our refund policy.
- A full refund will be given if the program is cancelled by the Park and Recreation Department.
- In case of illness or injury, a refund will be given with a doctor’s note for any unused portion of the program.
- If you cancel our registration a week or more before the program begins, refunds, minus the $10 processing fee, will be issued, processing time is approximately 30 days.
- No refunds are given once the program has begun or for any unused portion of the program. Fees are not prorated.
The best way to find out if a program or event has been cancelled due to weather is to check our webpage under “Announcements and News.” In the event of snow or pending snow, our Program Cancellation/ Inclement Weather Policy follow that of the Essex School System. If school has been canceled or has an early dismissal, then any program for the remainder of the day and night might be canceled as well.
The Essex Park and Recreation Department is committed to providing quality leisure services for people of all abilities. We will comply fully with the spirit and intention of the ADA in making reasonable accommodations for all individuals. We encourage and support people with disabilities to full participate in all programs offered by the department. Please contact Parks and Recreation for more information.
Hey-What happened to my class?
Nothing kills a recreation program faster than residents who wait until the last minute to register. There is a point when a program must be cancelled or modified. All programs require a high level of coordination often including facility scheduling, staffing, volunteer recruitment and purchasing of supplies. Be considerate in planning ahead and we will continue to do our best to offer exceptional programs. So please register early; then everyone will get a chance to participate.
New Programs and Instructors
Have a great program idea or desire to teach, earn money, and give back to the community? We continually seek to improve and grow our offering of programs and classes but need dedicated, enthusiastic instructors like you to make it happen.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to our email database and receive important information on the Department and out programs.
The Parks and Recreation Department makes every effort to ensure the accuracy of the program information found in the brochure. Changes in programming may occur, and we will attempt to keep information updated on our website. All programs, instructors, and locations are subject to change.
No News is Good News
We do not call or mail participants with program confirmations. We will only call you if you did not get into a class, or a class has been canceled due to minimum enrollment.
Any photograph taken of any participants in an Essex Park and Recreation Department program or activity may be used for publication or marketing purposes such as brochures and website content. Any participant, or parent of youth participant, who wished to not have a photograph of them used must notify the department in writing.
Recreation Scholarship Fund
The Recreation Scholarship Fund is designed to offset program fees for Essex residents who could not otherwise afford the fees. This is a fantastic way to help and support your fellow community by providing the opportunity to participate in a program. For more information, contact Parks and Recreation at 860-767-4340 x110.
Essex programs follow the school cancellation policy. All programs are cancelled if school is cancelled or dismissed early. Announcements will be made on WFSB and FoxCT along with the Essex Parks and Recreation Facebook page.